B is for...balloon balls banner--Simple Scallops & DIY Double Folded Bias Tape


I love "sewing" library books--especially the "pretty", nostalgic, inspiring ones. The one I am about to mention is truly a treasure. Inspired by Alicia Paulson's "Birthday Banner" on page 98 in her book, Stitched In Time, I created a sign for my craft show booth display. And I love it.

What I did: I went to my local craft store where they provide an amazing service: a self serve di-cut station. I think I chose a "Roman" font to create stencils from card stock for the lettering. [If you do not have access to di-cuts or ready to use stencils, you can create your own, and changing it to "outline"]. Then, I used off-white or antique color acrylic paint and a sponge brush to paint each letter. If you look closely, you can see how the letters are not perfect, but I still like the way they turned out. If you want to go for "perfect" you may do well to do the method suggested in the Birthday Banner tutorial in the book I mentioned. She uses freezer paper to cut her stencils out and irons each one on, paints, then waits until it was completely dry to remove the stencil.

Bias Tape Maker: The tutorial in the book suggests using double-folded bias tape, but since I have had so much fun making banners, buying a 1 inch (25mm) bias tape maker for a few dollars has been well worth it! That way I just use the same fabric as the scallop pieces. Bias tape makers can be found in the quilting notions section in a fabric store.

Inspired By:  
Stitched in time: memory-keeping projects to sew and share from the creator of Posie gets cozy
By: Alicia Paulson
ISBN: 9780307406262
Published: New York : Potter Craft, c2008.