B is for... Baby Blessing Dress--Sew something special for someone in your family

Sewing Something Special: This is the baby blessing dress I sewed for our first child. It is special for many reasons, one of which is that the designer and dressmaker who sewed my wedding dress let me have some of the scraps of French lace from my dress. I did not have quite enough to actually cut out baby bodice pieces the way I was familiar, so I simply took some of the pretty pieces and hand stitched them to the bodice, sleeves, and a border just above the hem band. While I was cutting out the dress, I realized that some of the white crepe I was using for the main body of the dress and hem band was actually leftover scrap fabric from my mother's wedding dress! Now talk about an heirloom! :)

Love & Don't Love the Peter Pan Collar: I love the peter pan collar, when Baby is not wearing the dress (except ironically in this picture it actually looks like it is laying pretty flat). Most of the time, the peter pan collar would not lay flat and she looked like a baby in the Renaissance Period with one of those big popped collars around her face! It probably is more telling of my skills than anything...I did not research sewing peter pan collars on baby clothes before I followed the commercial pattern instructions. Now I know better, "for next time." Other than that little misfit, the pattern was easy to use, and I like how it turned out.

The Pattern: Butterick B6045 I wanted the dress to be long, but not as long as the pattern indicates. I also opted out of making the sash and kind of did my own thing with a lace-y beaded ribbon in front, and added some ribbon on the side seams to tie into a bow in the back.

B6045, Infants' Romper, Dress, Sash, Hat, Booties and Blanket
Butterick B6045
Line Art
(Back) Butterick B6045

Where is Baby's Blessing Dress Now? Baby's dress is hanging on her wall next to her crib. I would rather have it collect dust there, than stuffed away in a closet. Size wise, it was a little big the day she was blessed, but looking at it now, my how fast she has grown! If you are considering sewing something special for someone in your family, do it!